July 2, 2006

DocSmartypants in London, Part 3: Hot Hot Heat

It’s 88 degrees here in London and they’ve apparently never heard of this strange invention called “air conditioning.” Last night my room was so hot I couldn’t even sleep. Most places don’t even have a fan. I’m starting to wonder if Londoners are actually human.

Yesterday I met up with Buni and Heather, a couple of London gals I met on Television without Pity. We went to the British Museum and saw the Rosetta Stone and all that. Then we walked around for a bit, had some ice cream, and watched people watching the England match. It reminded me of when the Red Sox were in the World Series, everyone crowded outside of any place that had a TV. Anyway, so we end up in Soho and we come around a corner and suddenly, what the hell?! Thousands of cheering, dancing gay men! Is it another Pet Shop Boys concert? No–it’s PRIDE DAY! So as I’m happily walking through this street in Soho that’s packed full of beatiful men wearing more makeup than me, getting glittered on by a passing drag queen, and admiring the pink Union Jacks, it occurs to me that Kenneth is right: I am a 50-year-old gay man. Because if this hadn’t been the one day I had people to hang out with (and not lose in the crowd) I would have happily stayed there all day. Ah well.

In the evening I went back to the hotel to watch the new episode of Doctor Who because over here you can do that and not be treated like a freak. That’s right, over here they respect their sci-fi (within reason) and they love their Doctor Who. So I watched the show and then realized it was a bit late to do much else but still to early to go to bed, so I went for the first real sit-down dinner I’ve had since I arrived, more out of boredom than hunger.

That was a mistake. I didn’t get halfway through the meal. I’m still too sick and it’s just too hot. So I went back to the room to slowly suffocate for the rest of the night, now with a tummy ache.

Today is even hotter than yesterday so of course I decided to go to the Camden Lock Market. Because what’s better on a scorching hot day than walking around a confined space with everyone else in London? I saw many cool things but didn’t buy much because it just seemed too silly to go to England and come back with a bag full of stuff from India and China and pretty much everywhere but England. I did by a CD in a shop specifically geared toward rave tweakers, from a DJ with a delightful tri-colored mohawk–very nice fellow. Then I thought I’d explore a bit, which was dumb because I walked way, way off in a random direction and now my feet are killing me.

The good news is I have now sweated off half of my body weight. Thanks, London! ]

posted under Travel

“DocSmartypants in London, Part 3: Hot Hot Heat”

1. On July 3rd, 2006 at 2:12 am Mom S Says:

Hopefully, Larry will learn a lot from your experience in London, so he can protect Dad from getting sick in Slovenia in August!

I hope you get some sleep!

2. On July 3rd, 2006 at 12:44 pm Mu Says:

A heat wave in London- chalk another one up to global warming. But there you are, braving the streets of London with a sweaty, glitter-sprinkled and half-starved body! We’re so impressed that we shared it in Joys and Sorrows. Hope you drink TONS of water before you get on an airplane to come home. Dangerous to be dehydrated on a long flight. Enjoy the rest of your really rigid search. We love you.

3. On July 5th, 2006 at 10:29 pm The Ghetto :) Says:

Hi darling!
    I love hearing about your trip – I am sure you’ll come back saying “Cheerio!” and talking about your favourite colour. 🙂 (BTW, do you say spelled or spelt? I seriously say spelt but apparently “spelled” is the American way. Damn Americans.)

You will be happy to hear that I was totally singing “Baby Got Back” in the hallways of the House building after attending a committee hearing. Oh yes, the Ghetto does Washington. 🙂 hehe

Love ya!
    Court

4. On July 6th, 2006 at 8:15 am docsmartypants Says:

Dude, you need to have a blog! The Ghetto Does Washington. Glad you enjoyed the trip updates. I’ll try to post a wrap up entry about the exciting last couple of days and the journey home. I’ll give a hint, it involved a one and a half hour trip on the 100-degree Underground.

And I was already inclined toward colour and flavour, but generally use an -ed ending rather than the -t they often use.

5. On July 8th, 2006 at 6:14 pm Kenneth Says:

Well, it’s in the mid-80s here in Seattle. Beautiful blue sky, not too much smog. The library building is one freaky place.

So far I’ve been to the Space Needle (too many children and tourists taking pictures: would have been lovely if I had it to myself); the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame; Pike Place; the Library. My feet hurt, but Seattle is quite possibly one of the most appealing cities I’ve ever visited.

I suppose I should withhold judgment until I have the opportunity to experience months of cloudy weather.

6. On July 9th, 2006 at 9:51 pm docsmartypants Says:

Glad you are enjoying Seattle! I feel I can say now, having been to several major cities, that Seattle still tops my list as far as overall feel and natural beauty. Bigger cities have more stuff to do, but I’m pretty lazy, so I don’t really need to do much. As for the cloudy weather, I always enjoyed it, but it might get a bit glum for a native Californian.