May 18, 2007

Regarding the Events of Tuesday, May 15: What’s left to say?

As I rapidly approach my 30th birthday there are a lot of experiences I have been wishing I’d had in my 20s. I wish I’d dyed my hair a crazy color. I wish I had done more traveling. I wish I’d been brave enough to go out dancing at a club. One of the things that was most certainly not high on my list of things to do was to have my apartment robbed. And yet, that’s the one I get to add to my list of experiences I squeezed in during the final months of my 29th year.

Tuesday we came home at lunch to find our apartment had been robbed. Chunk of our DVD collection? Gone. Brand new digital SLR camera? Gone. Six-month old laptop that was practically like a child to me? Gone. Faith in my security and the sanctity of my home? Yup, they got that, too. Bastards even stole my backpack to take my possessions home in.

I’m not going to drone on about this. I was sick of telling the story the first time I told it, and I’ve had to tell it a lot of times now. Am I sad, angry, bewildered? Yes. Do I feel violated? Yes. Have we now got three deadbolts, including one on our bedroom door? Yup. (So in case you, the ass with my laptop, are reading this, don’t even bother coming back for seconds. Also, I hope you’re happy with your newfound wealth of half-written articles about Boston and images of obscure British actors carefully culled from the internet. I certainly was before you took them from me.)

What I do want to say is that everyone has been really supportive. Coworkers, friends, relatives, the property manager, the police—and I really appreciate it. It’s refreshing after having seen the worst of people to also get to see the best of people. So for that, I wanted to thank you all (except the prat with my laptop—you can die a slow, horrible death).

posted under Rants

“Regarding the Events of Tuesday, May 15: What’s left to say?”

1. On May 18th, 2007 at 10:36 pm Sheri Stritof Says:

I certainly am hoping for a slow, miserable and painful death for the crook or crooks, too. And that there is a specially horrid place in hell for people who steal laptops and cameras!

2. On May 19th, 2007 at 11:27 am Steve Says:

Well as I told Larry, let me know if there is anything I can do. I only wish that I actually could do something via my job, but alas even if I knew the right people to make the slow, horrible death of a prat happen… well I’m sure they wouldn’t let me.

3. On May 20th, 2007 at 1:29 am Candace Nelson Says:

Oh, Sonja! That sucks. I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m also reminded to put “buy renter’s insurance” on the top of my to-do list. I keep putting that off. I’m sending out bad vibes to your burglars.

4. On May 20th, 2007 at 4:30 pm Mom Says:

I have good, though highly philosophical, news for you. The Prat is already in hell; already engaged in his own slow torture. I do know from personal experience how devastating it is. But the creativity, humor, kindness and love that you are cannot be taken. That said, glad to hear about the deadbolts! Perhaps a small arsenal like Goldy Hawn’s friend recommends in Foul Play. Knuckles of Power or something like that. Keep smiling.

5. On May 21st, 2007 at 8:53 am Courtney Says:

Hey hon,

That really sucks! If you need a laptop to use for awhile, we have an old one you could have — it is from like 2000 so it is sucky but better than none at all. Shoot me an e-mail or give me a call if you want it.

Love you guys and glad you are both OK!

6. On May 22nd, 2007 at 4:50 pm docsmartypants Says:

Thanks for the support everyone. We really do appreciate it. And Courtney, thanks for the laptop offer, but luckily a coworker had an old one for me to use. (Did I miss your graduation?)

I also thought I’d share that since the bedroom door is now locked every time we leave the apartment, I have a daily smack-into-the-door-because-I-forgot-it-was-deadbolted moment that I can cherish when I get home.