October 22, 2010

A piece of Manchester history

I didn’t have a chance to blog about this the other day, but Larry and I visited the coolest place in Manchester: the Victoria Baths. The baths were built in the early 1900s and are currently in the process of being restored, or at least as much as they can be with the money available. I found the Victoria Baths while searching for “fun places to photograph in the UK.” It wasn’t until later that I realized I’d read about the baths before because they are used for location shooting on lots of random British shows, including one of my favorites: Life on Mars. In fact, the day we visited there was a commercial being shot in one of the main rooms for some sort of Coke beverage.

If you want to read up on the history of the Victoria Baths go here. If you are ever in Manchester and enjoy history or architecture or both, make sure to take the tour. And if you are wealthy please give them lots of money so they can continue the restoration work. It really is a fantastic building. Here are some photos:

Front exterior of the Victoria Baths, Manchester

Interior tile wall, detail

Bannister detail, staircase in First Class Men's Entrance

Windows in one of the upstairs rooms

An upstairs hallway

Glass ceiling over one of the three pools

The Aeratone in the former women's waiting room

Stained glass

Stained glass windows

Fireplace in an upstairs room

Larry in a familiar room

The "morgue" from Life on Mars

posted under Travel

“A piece of Manchester history”

1. On October 23rd, 2010 at 4:58 pm RockportMom Says:

What a cool building! Somewhere between a cathedral and a mental hospital (now there is a lead-in to a philosophical discussion). You two really know how to do diversity. Complements to the photographer(s).

2. On October 23rd, 2010 at 5:38 pm docsmartypants Says:

That sounds like something from an “Alice in Wonderland” conversation: How is a cathedral like a mental hospital?

Glad you liked the photos. The light was pretty tricky, but we did our best. And yes, we like to see a wide variety of things when we travel.

3. On October 24th, 2010 at 9:11 am Josh Says:

Hello lovelies,

It’s been a while since we’ve checked in, so I thought I would give you a status update of your lovely home while you are enjoying your fabulous National Lampoon’s European Vacation. Ahem.

**Things broken:**

Your living room rug (I didn’t realize how much Serif likes to chew/unravel it whenever I step into the little boy’s room. You might know it as the W.C.)

The baby gate (my fault. that thing was a menace and I’m glad its dead. I still don’t understand how it works, but now it simply doesn’t.)

The little basket full of magazines next to the couch (see living room rug)

The giant chest in the dining room that is too heavy for me to move (see living room rug)

Your bathroom sink (I don’t know what I did, but its not draining anymore. I used all of the drano stuff you had in the house to no avail. Oh it gurgles and makes sounds, but the water isn’t going anywhere. Imagine my horror when after brushing my teeth, I had to bail out my own saliva-water into the kitchen sink using a martini shaker)

Your martini shaker (see above)

Your flashlight (I tried changing the batteries but its still not working. Is the battery charger broken as well? Its not charging.)

Your yard (yes, I’m afraid your yard is broken. Let me explain. As you can see from above, your flashlight is broken. Thankfully both dogs stay in the yard completely and behave quite well so I don’t have to see whats happening at night, then I go out in the morning and clean up the mess. One morning, however, I woke up to a dead mouse in the bed. After screaming for 20 minutes and another 20 minutes in the shower (lovely body wash by the way) I disposed of the mouse, washed all the bedding, then went outside to clean up the prior night’s leavings. To my HORROR, your yard is now home to 5-10 little craters where one or both dogs (I assume Cinnamon) has been digging in the night, and next to each hole is a dead, chewed up, mangled, bloody, gory, mouse. I went around the yard filling in the little craters and disposing of the family of mice (wearing your pajamas Sonja), but it still doesn’t look like when you left. The good news—you are now a mice-free zone. Or are they voles if they are underground? I didn’t even know mice could burrow through dirt.)

**Things intact:**

Everything else

All your plants

Our friendship…?

Anyways, it looks like you’re having a fabulous time. Your photos are great and I anxiously await your return. Serif and I both miss you. Don’t forget to take Simon Pegg and/or Clive Owen home for me—dress them up in something tight, k? Thx, bye.

4. On October 24th, 2010 at 3:05 pm docsmartypants Says:

The saddest part is that your update is the most amusing thing to have gone up on this blog in years. I am now going to mourn my poor, dead rug etc…

Larry is going to post something useful in a moment.

5. On October 24th, 2010 at 3:41 pm Larry Says:

I am laughing my head off about the mouse situation. The good news is that it’s not the dogs killing and digging, but rather the neighborhood cat gang. I was hoping the new fence would keep them out, but apparently wood fences are easy to climb. Props to Serif/Cinnamon for thinking it would be a great idea to bring a dead mouse to bed with you.

No worries about the damage. We’ve been lucky thus far and knew it was only a matter of time before she damaged something we liked, in this case the rug. Everything else is replaceable/repairable. If you get a chance you might want to roll-up and put the rug in the guest room to prevent any further damage. Also feel free to pickup a new flashlight, we’ll reimburse you. With the baby gate down how are you containing the Serif? Anyways the gate was hell to install, so it’s likely not broken just a pain to put back together.

Thanks for the update and YES our friendship is still in tact. We really appreciate you house sitting for us. See you in a week!

6. On October 24th, 2010 at 10:53 pm Josh Says:

Good call, I will roll up the rug for now and lock it away somewhere. It’s probably not as bad as I’ve made it sound, she just started chewing on one corner and pulling a thread out whenever my back is turned. So the whole thing is fine except for one corner thats unravelling.

As for the baby gate, it is still standing and opens/closes, but it no longer locks. She can push it open with her face. So, now I keep a dining room chair infront of it when I need to contain her. It’s working well so far.

That is a big relief about the neighborhood cat situation…of course it doesn’t remedy the dead mouse on my pillow. But I’m glad its not the dogs doing the digging and killing.

Oh, before I forget, I’m gonna do the cheesy holiday halloween movie night at my place halloween night. Was thinking of Santa’s Slay and Thankskilling for starters, more if people can bear it. I’d love for you guys to come if you’re not too jetlagged.

Talk to you soon! *HUGS*

7. On October 25th, 2010 at 4:15 pm Stacey Says:

I had something to say about the photos.

Then I read Josh’s comment about mice.

I now have nothing more to say.

8. On October 25th, 2010 at 4:43 pm docsmartypants Says:

Awww…I want to know what your comments on the photos were! There are, for the record, no mice in our home. So you don’t have to worry about that.