May 28, 2012

Continued Adventures in Reading
by Larry

Sorry for the lack of posts. I have yet to get in the habit of regular blogging. Damn my leg!

To date I’ve read Treasure Island, A Princess of Mars, Warlord of Mars, The Gods of Mars, The Hobbit, The First Men in the Moon, Hunger Games, and Ender’s Game. Not bad for someone who went so long without reading a single book.

During the reading of these books I’ve noticed several things about myself:

• It takes a lot of effort to get myself to begin another book. I want to read something fun, but I’m finding it challenging to identify a book that I may enjoy without having a plot line or idea spoiled by a recommendation. The less I know the more surprised I will be and the more I’ll enjoy the book.
  • I prefer to see movies based on books before I read the book. Most would disagree with me here, but those who know me know that I don’t watch movies I’ve already seen. When watching movies I tune everything out around me and get fully immersed into the story. When I know what is going on, I am critiquing the film, distracted, and generally bored.
  •  Given the previous two points I would have thought it would be difficult for me to read a book that I already knew the story of. But when I read the Hobbit and The Hunger Games after seeing the movie versions, I found that it was fun to see how the author originally presented the story and how Hollywood decided to present it in film. For me these books were still exciting and fun to read.
  • I’m clearly drawn to adventure books.
  • Reading inspires me to be creative and at the same time depresses me. Movies can do this to me as well, but on a much smaller level because they generally last several hours and by the next day I’ve forgotten about it. Books on the other hand last weeks, so I find myself having more time thinking about the story and the parallels with my life and current events.

I’ll go into greater detail on some of these points in separate posts.

posted under Commentary

“Continued Adventures in Reading”

1. On May 31st, 2012 at 11:40 pm Sheri Says:

Great going! But I was surprised at your comment that you don’t watch movies you’ve already seen. Is it because we watched the same movies over and over and over and over when you were growing up?

2. On May 31st, 2012 at 11:41 pm Sheri Says:

Strange — the smile I added to the end of that post didn’t show up …

3. On June 2nd, 2012 at 8:48 pm Rockport Mom & Dad Says:

So glad to hear you are reading. I’m like you- I like to see a movie first and then go deeper with a book. Sometimes the book explains gaps or motivations in the film. Sometimes the movie changes just a little dialog to make it more perfect (but not often). But the biggest reason is that I have trouble with the cast of a movie once I have read the book and cast it myself. Being a movie person I always adapt, cast and film the book in my mind as I read it.
    Isn’t it great what we learn about ourselves by reading?

4. On June 3rd, 2012 at 1:24 am Larry Says:

Possibly watching movies on repeat during my childhood did cause me to dislike seeing the same things twice. I should also clarify that I will watch a movie again, I just need to have forgotten most of it or have something else to do otherwise I will likely fall asleep.

5. On June 4th, 2012 at 11:30 pm docsmartypants Says:

It has certainly been interesting watching you discover what you like and don’t like about reading and seeing film adaptations etc. Looking forward to reading more about your observations!

And I still think you should try a Neil Gaiman book!

6. On June 10th, 2012 at 8:20 pm Stacey Says:

I think you are a normal person who doesn’t view fictional characters as BFFs and so gets less offended if the movie dares to do something different with them. Like, you’re being healthy and viewing them as two different artistic interpretations, and I am being a crazy person, like, “BUT THAT PERSON IS MUCH FUNNIER IN THE BOOKS OMG WHY WOULD YOU RUIN THEM I HATE YOU.”